If you are like most people, more than likely you love to pamper your Bengal and lavish them with affection along with treats. One thing is for certain, you can never give your Bengal too much attention. However, when it comes to treats that is a different matter. If you give them too many treats, they can end up with a weight problem, just like people. But this doesn’t mean that should never give them treats. In this article, we will cover the following:
- What Makes a Treat Healthy?
- Tips on Giving Your Bengal Cat Treats
- Our Top Choices for the Best Bengal Cat Treats
What Makes a Treat Healthy?
The key thing when it comes to treats, is to make sure that you give them treats in moderation. It’s important that they want to eat their cat food and not want just treats as their meal. This is why it’s important that you only lavish them with treats occasionally, this way they remain healthy and become very special in your cat’s mind.
Even though giving your Bengal cat treats is perfectly fine, treats should be a very small part of their regular diet. So how much is enough? Most experts recommend that your cats treats shouldn’t be any more than 10% of the total amount of the calories that they eat.
The main reason for this is that usually treats only add calories to their diet and not much else. This means that the remaining 90% of the calories in your cat’s diet should be coming from a high-quality and nutritionally complete cat food, whether it’s dry, wet or a combination of both.
The food labels on cat food generally do not offer the calorie count on food or treats so if you are really concerned about the number of calories there are in your cats treats it is suggested that you contact the pet food manufacturer. One thing you should always look for on the label is to see if it has been approved by the AAFCO or Association of American Feed Control Officials.
Tips on Giving Your Bengal Cat Treats
When giving treats to your Bengal here are a few tips on how you can give them snacks and keep your cat healthy at the same time.
· Moderation, moderation. Just like people, your Bengal can develop a taste for treats, and may even decide they don’t want their own food and instead just want the goodies that you give them. This is the main reason why you should keep the treats as a novelty by giving treats to them no more than three times a week.
· Go easy on feeding them people food. All the foods that are made for cats tend to be formulated to contain minerals, amino acids, and vitamins your cat needs to stay healthy. This is why you should keep people food to a minimum. Of course, there is nothing wrong with an occasional delicacy like a small piece of cheese, tuna, fish and so on.
· Keep them away from foods that can be toxic to them. Things like grapes, onions, raisins and several more can be toxic for your Bengal. If you are not sure of the types of foods that aren’t safe for your Bengal you should talk to your vet before giving them any food you’re not sure of.
· Don’t reward begging. This means you should avoid giving them their treats at the dinner table and never give them a treat when they are insisting on getting one. You don’t want to reward begging which is bad behavior. Instead you want to reward good behavior with treats.
· There is no denying the fact that treats do add calories to your cats diet. This means that a cat can become overweight if they are given too much food and/or treats. If your cat is overweight you should consult with the vet and come up with a safe diet plan that might still include a few treats.
· Grow some catnip. This is a nice healthy treat to give your cat. It’s easy to grow and you can grow it right in a sunny window in your home.
· Use treats as an apology to your cat. A good reason to give your cat a treat is after your cat has gone through something they don’t like such as claw trimming, brushing their teeth or after a dose of medication or a trip to the vet. Giving them a treat along with praise will go a long way toward soothing your cat for forcing them to do something that was unpleasant.
· Never give treats in replacement of your love. Your cat really doesn’t have that many needs, the most important are a healthy diet, a safe place to live and a lot of loving attention. It’s never a good idea if you’re short on time to give them a handful of treats instead of giving them a few loving strokes. Giving them, attention builds a better bond than giving them treats.
Here’s a video of a well-trained Bengal cat getting some treats:
Our Top Choices for the Best Bengal Cat Treats
There are all kinds of cat treats on the market and it can be confusing on which ones will be good ones to add to your Bengals diets. That’s why we decided to check out some of them for you and hope that this will help you narrow down your choices.
Below you will find a list of our top favorites that we believe will be good choices for your Bengal.
Temptations Classic Treats for Cats
FEATURES: This is a one-pound tub of treats that come in a variety of flavors that include dairy, catnip, chicken, salmon, and more. They have a crunchy outside and a smooth creamy center.
PROS: They come in a variety of flavors most cats love. Their crunchy outer texture is good for controlling tartar buildup. They are nutritionally sound and have less calories than some other treats.
CONS: There have been some concerns that some cats tend to get gassy after eating these treats.
Purina Friskies Party Mix Crunch Beachside
FEATURES: These treats have very few calories and have mixed flavors in one container. They come in a choice of contains such as a two pack of 20-ounce canisters, single 20-ounce canister, which is resealable. They also have pouches that range from 2.1 ounce ten packs, 6-ounce seven packs and 10-ounce four packs. This particular variety is a combination of crab, tuna, and shrimp flavors.
PROS: Comes in a resealable container. Is very low in calorie content. Comes in a variety of sizes including different sized pouches and the large canister. Reasonably priced.
CONS: The only concern was that some cats didn’t like it.
Feline Greenies Dental Cat Treats
FEATURES: These treats come in a variety of flavors such as catnip, beef, chicken, tuna, salmon, and more. They are meant to reduce the tartar buildup on cat’s teeth and can be given every day as part of their dental care routine.
PROS: Has a crunchy texture that helps to clean your cats teeth. These treats also help to keep their breath fresh as well.
CONS: There are some concerns that these treats don’t agree with some cat’s digestive systems.
Purbites Freeze Dried Chicken Breast Cat Treats
ABOUT: These treats are specially freeze dried to lock in the texture and aroma of each treat. They make the treat with 100% real chicken breast and have two calories per treat. Designed to be good for cats that are overweight, diabetic or other health issues. Also meant for cats on a restricted diet.
FEATURES: Comes in chicken breast, turkey breast, duck, whitefish, salmon, beef liver, and shrimp. All flavors are freeze dried from 100% pure meats and fish. No artificial flavors or preservatives added.
PROS: Low in calories and there is only one ingredient, the meat or fish. With no additives in this treat it is easier to digest and good for those cats that may have health issues.
CONS: Main concern is that the treat is very dry and crumbles easily and difficult to hand out as a treat. Another issue is the price, very expensive for the amount you get, but also very natural.
Wellness Kittles Crunchy Natural Grain Free Cat Treats
FEATURES: These treats are grain free and have a nice crunchy texture that helps to also cut down on tartar buildup. They are low in calories and made with wholesome ingredients such as cranberries, blueberries, salmon, whitefish, tuna, and more.
PROS: Low in calories and are grain free. They help to cut down on tartar buildup. Cats seem to really like these particular treats.
CONS: One of the main concerns has been that these treats seem to be a lot harder than most other treats.
There you have it, our top five picks for the best cat treats for Bengal cats. After reviewing all of these, we believe that the top choice out of all on this list is Temptations Classic Treats for Cats. The reason why we believe this is the top choice is that it seems to meet all the criteria that makes up the ideal treat for Bengal cats.